Violet drop wing - Trithemis annulata

 Violet drop wing

Trithemis annulata

Thrithémis annelé or Thrithémis pourpré


Location - Peyras, 16270 Roumazières-Loubert, France


Recently, I was out relaxing, just having a good time really on a Sunday at one of those man-made recreational lakes that France excels in, but with my eyes always on the lookout, I saw quite a large number of bright purple dragonflies that I had never seen before.

Aerial view of lake

I only had my phone with me, and I struggled in the bright sunlight to focus and get a half-decent photo, which, as it turns out, isn't that bad. What I didn't realise at the time was that these violet dragonflies were all males and that the females are a rather drab brown.

Male Violet drop wing

Originating in Africa, it first appeared in Spain in 1978, Corsica in 1989, and then mainland France in 1994, where it is now well established and rapidly expanding both to the north and to the east along the Mediterranean coastal band and the Rhône valley.

Most recent map where the species is present

They occupy a broad range of habitats, lakes, ponds, streams, and rivers, and we can speculate that they will continue to thrive and continue to expand their range, with the general consensus being that climate change is the main cause.

So one to look out for,

Chris






Popular posts from this blog

Gendarmes are also Red and Black bugs, (Fire bugs), in France, not just Police personnel.

Deaths head hawkmoth and Great Peacock moth.

House Centipede - la Scutigére, (Scutigera coleoptrata) in France